Delayed….@#$#

My RE’s office finally called me back at 2pm today. As I mentioned in my earlier post today, I got an unexpected call from them yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately my cell phone had died, so by the time I got the message and called back, it was after hours and I just got voicemail.

These were  the only reasons I could think of for why they could be calling:

1. Change in the protocol/timing – seems unlikely as we had just nailed everything down on Tuesday

2. Update that they got my results of the varicella titre (chicken pox immunity testing) – seems unlikely as I’d already told the nurse I knew that I wasn’t immune and was not going to have the vaccine before doing IVF

3. (The one that really scared me!) Abnormal results of the endometrial biopsy  meaning that we’d have to postpone or cancel our cycle – seems unlikely because it’s only been two days instead of a week, but at the same time I couldn’t help keep coming back to this as it also seemed more likely than the other two options. It doesn’t help that we have unexplained infertility and have passed any other tests with flying colours – maybe this is the smoking gun as to why we can’t conceive?

This morning, I thought of another one, which made total sense and was perfectly benign. As part of the paperwork we’d handed in on Tuesday, both my husband and I had to disclose any vitamins, supplements, and herbs we were taking to make sure that they wouldn’t hurt our chances in the IVF cycle. The nurse had a preliminary look at the list with us on Tuesday, and said everything looked fine (except she had me stop taking baby aspirin until after retrieval). But ultimately, the Dr. had to give his blessing. So, I figured that once he had a look, he probably saw something he wanted us to cut, and that’s what the call was about.

As the day went on and I didn’t hear back from them, I became convinced that this must be it, as they would have called earlier if it was anything serious.

I finally got the call this afternoon, only to find out that it was in fact related to the results of my endometrial biopsy. Apparently, my endometrium (uterus lining) is inflamed (endometritis), as plasma cells were detected in the biopsy. This will prevent embryo implantation from happening, so needs to be cleared up before we go ahead with the IVF cycle. So now, I have to go on a new type of antibiotic for upto a month, and go back for another biopsy in two weeks. If those results come back clear then I can start my suprefact.

So this week, I went from thinking I was starting suprefact 2 days ago, to starting next Tue, now to starting late April if I’m lucky. And depending on how this goes, the retrieval/transfer timing could fall during the time that my husband has a work trip scheduled. So, we may end up getting pushed back another week because of that.

I’m trying hard to stay calm. I know it’s not the end of the world. I know it’s just a small bump in the road. I know this will be resolved and we’ll go ahead when the time is right.

But I’m just so sick of all the waiting and the continued delays.

Advertisements